European Disability Forum (EDF)
The European Disability Forum is an independent NGO that defends the interests of 80 million Europeans with disabilities. This platform brings together representative organisation of persons with disabilities from across Europe. They are run by persons with disabilities and their families.
EDF's vision is that persons with disabilities in Europe are fully included in society on an equal basis with others and that their human rights, as outlined in the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, are fully respected, protected and fulfilled.
Their mission is to ensure persons with disabilities’ full inclusion in society and access to our human rights through EDF's active involvement in policy development, implementation and monitoring of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities in Europe.
EDF’s values are built on the principles of the United Nations’ Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UN CRPD):
- Respect for inherent dignity;
- Individual autonomy including the freedom to make one's own choices;
- Full and effective participation and inclusion in society;
- Respect for difference and acceptance of persons with disabilities as part of human diversity and humanity;
- Equality of opportunity;
- Equality between men and women;
- Respect for the evolving capacities of children with disabilities and respect for the right of children with disabilities to preserve their identities.