START to CAN
1. What is the name of this service/practice/project or what name would you give it?
Solution-oriented mediation of persons who are at a great distance from the labor market due to disability or health nuisance.
2. To which dimension of QoL does the practice contribute?
Self- determination, rights, emotional wellbeing, social inclusion, personal development, interpersonal relationships, material well-being and physical well being
3. Would you considering the example as ‘an innovative way of working’? If so, why?
In the relationship with the customer, we shift the focus from problem thinking to looking for solutions and possibilities. This requires a new mindset of mediators that can be taught through intensive training and continuous peer review. Strength-oriented mediation has a methodical foundation based on solution-focused coaching, the new authority, positive psychology and the neurosciences. . See: - SFIO.org and SOL Wold community.
4. In what way does the practice lead to ‘inclusion of service users with a profound disability’? Please explain how you have understood and defined ‘inclusion’ in this context.
By starting with the client's dream, even if it has a complex limitation, about what he / she wants to achieve as a quality of life and by consciously thinking together about who can help realize this dream, the client is interested in taking the steering wheel of the service. In realizing inclusion, GTB uses the following golden formula:
intensity + specialization + networking + methodology
For GTB, inclusion means zero exclusion as defined in Article 27 of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
5. What would be, in your opinion, the opportunities and challenges to transfer the practice to the partner organizations?
In order to realize strength-oriented mediation and more broadly the golden formula, training is needed in the field of methodical use of the approach. Hereby it is necessary to focus on impact evaluation to substantiate the added value of the methodologies
6. Have you evidence (proof) that the practice increased the satisfaction of the service users? If so, please show how satisfaction is measured and the increased satisfaction score.
7. Have you evidence (proof) that the practice increased the satisfaction of the Family members? If so, please show how satisfaction is measured and the increased satisfaction score.
8. Have you evidence (proof) about tangible results of improving Quality of Life of persons with a profound disability? If so, please show how this is determined?
9. Have you evidence (proof) about tangible results of meeting expectations of service users with a profound disability? If so, please show how this is determined?
Answer for questions 6-9:
As practical evidence that power-oriented mediation works. Clients are going to look for far more solutions, deploy their network to realize their dream of working. We have nice stories within IPS (individual placement and support) and we can make practical evidence scientifically visible in 2022 via the RIZIV / INAMI study. This research also focuses on the added value for the family.
More info on the good practice can be found here: